Monday, February 18, 2008

Couldn't Wake UP!


One of the most terrifying experiences that humans can have is Sleep Paralysis!

There have been more reports of alien abduction, vampire experiences and nightmarish visions due to this phenomenon than any other contributing event!

Sleep Paralysis is the psychological phenomenon whereby one feels as though they can't move and/or they can't wake up!
Clinically it's known as: Hypnopompia or Hypnagogia (also spelled hypnogogia) describes vivid dreamlike auditory, visual, or tactile sensations, which are often accompanied by sleep paralysis and experienced when falling asleep or waking up.

This state can be produced due to a number of factors:

  • Sleeping in an upwards supine position
  • Irregular sleeping schedules; naps, sleeping in, sleep deprivation
  • Increased stress
  • Sudden environmental/lifestyle changes
  • A lucid dream that immediately precedes the episode. Also conscious induction of sleep paralysis is a common technique to enter a state of lucid dreams, also known as WILD .
It is a very serious disorder and should be attended to by a qualified AMA Board Certified Physician who has a background in Sleep Disorders.

There have been cases recently, due to new over the counter sleep remedies, of people driving, eating, becoming combative and so forth. This isn't the same as Sleep Paralysis.

The religious community and other writers for centuries, has taken advantage of this condition and ascribed this phenomenon to angels, devils and demons such as succubus and incubus possessions! This form of charlatanism and scamming hasn't died out in the 21st century!
In fact, it has flourish with the movie industry and religious groups using mass media to bring in more poor uneducated souls to dupe.

In more extended cases, strokes and heart attacks have been brought on by the fear and panic within Sleep Paralysis.

If you perchance experience this phenomenon, the first thing you need to realize is that you're dreaming and that this condition will pass. In essence, don't panic! You'll come out of it naturally. If it persist, seek medical attention before you look for spiritual advice!

Thank you for your attention and time! Have a Phantasmagorical Day!

6 comments:

Steve said...

Thanks MaN , Damn i just hardly woke up from one of these , but mine wasn't while dreaming ,,, it was when i was waking up , i blinked , i saw somthing that looked like a human approaching then my eyes got closed , and i had this sleep paralysis i could move my head just a little bit so it started shivering until i woke up
damn that was scary
thanks so much for the scientific explaination i really needed it
have a good day sir

Jorge Lourenço said...

I just had it and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. I had it while falling asleep and I could blink once or twice. I tried screaming for help 'cause i thought I was having some sort of attack, but my mouth would barely open. It lasted around 15 minutes and it was really crazy. I think it happened because of sleep deprivation. I went from Rock in Rio straight to work yesterday and hadn't slept for 2 days.

CMH777 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CMH777 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CMH777 said...

yea, seriously. Ive had this happen before but nothing like this morning. I literally was awake in my head but could not move my body, feel my body. i was struggling to try and make my mind open my eyes, i couldn't for what felt like hours. I remember my eyes being half open, at least i thought. Once i finally got my eyes open, it was like i was barley breathing, like i was out of my own body, i couldn't move myself. It took so much might, and coaching to move. Then, I stood up and i still felt like i was numb and floating. I felt so uncomfortable and confused I didn't feel like i was actually walking or in my own apartment. I tried eating ice cream and drinking hot tea to make myself react and to distract me from pan-icing. It took a good hour to come out of completely.

Unknown said...

This happened to me waking up last night, it felt like some one was violently shaking my foot trying to wake me up. like they had a hold of it just shakeing it back and forth, suddenly I was aware of my surroundings in my head but my body didnt want to respond, i tried screaming but i could only part my mouth, I tried lifting my arms and moving my fingers but they felt numb and tingly, when i finally opened my eyes i was gasping for air and a white ghostly woman with long hair was at the end of my bed pointing at me with a limp hand. I immediatly turned on my tv and tried to coax myself out of it. really freaky.